Sunday, November 23, 2008

GF Butterscotch Chip Cookies

My MIL (the sweetest MIL ever) has been buying me all sorts of gluten free stuff ever since my diagnosis...once a week or so hubs comes home with a bag of goodies from her. See, I said she was the sweetest!

This week she found a whole gluten free section at a health food store she was at...so she bought gluten free flour and pizza crust mix, and some xantham gum (a binding ingredient that many GF recipes call for). She also bought me a book "The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy" by Bette Hagman.

Even though it's a cookbook, it has a large introduction - and that's where I'm at in the book! I must tell you, a line in there made me feel so *normal*. Hagman writes "There are other foods that cause some celiacs to feel many of the same symptoms they had before diagnosis. Soy, eggs, citrus fruits, chocolate and MSG are just a few of the common offenders. Other include shellfish, nuts, legumes, apples and yeast" (pg.3).

Why did this make me feel normal?!? Because chocolate and apples and nuts are SO HARD on my tummy that I don't eat any of them any more, but I thought maybe I was just going crazy. Reading that this is common - WOW. The best part?!? These things MAY cause the same symptoms as gluten, but they do not cause the same *distress* - basically, if I'm willing to put up with the pain, I can have any of these things because they aren't doing my insides any further damage!!! YAY. I'm still going to stay away from this stuff for a while - I want to get my tummy used to this gluten free life, and then I may try reintroducing these!

SO - my culinary adventure. Phew. Went for an awesome trail run this morning with my running group - we went on trails I never even knew existed, which I always think is so bizarre considering how long I've lived in this area. ANYWAYS. I started thinking that today would be a good day to make cookies.

Since I've never baked with gluten free flour before, I was prepared for this experiment to be an absolute flop - but it wasn't!!! These cookies turned out really tasty!! Probably too tasty for a girl on a diet. HA. But hey, we watch what we eat and workout a bunch for a reason, right?!?! RIGHT.

In case you're interested, here's my recipe -

Gluten Free Butterscotch Chip Cookies

Ingredients

1 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1/5 tsp vanilla
Just less than 2 cups All Purpose Gluten Free Flour
1/2 tsp Xantham Gum
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 Package Hershey's Chipits Butterscotch Chips

Nutritional Info (per cookies)

Fat: 3.9g
Carbohydrates: 9.9g
Calories:74.1
Protein: 0.4g

Preheat oven to 375.

I used a stand mixer to make these cookies - it whipped them up like magic!

1. Cream together butter, brown sugar and sugar.
2. Beat in the eggs and the vanilla.
3. Add flour, xantham gum, baking soda and salt. Blend until mixed.
4. Add the butterscotch chips.
5. Drop by tablespoon full onto a pan.
6. Bake for 7 - 9 minutes - watch them closely as gluten free flour cooks much faster than regular flour.
7. Let cool shortly on pan after removing from the oven (otherwise they will crumble).

Enjoy!

Number of Servings: 52

(I can't get the picture to load...but they look like cookies! HA)

No comments: