Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Feet and Fun

I combined "feet" and "fun" last night...

I went for my second-ever massage last night. Ooh la la, was that ever heaven. Well, if heaven begins with pain induced by another and is immediately followed by bliss as the muscle releases... ok, terrible analogy.

This massage concentrated on my legs. My right hip has been tensing up during my long runs, and I figured that I may as well try and be proactive about it and get a massage, rather than waiting until the discomfort turned to injury and having to react with physio.

I booked in for a massage every second week for the next two months - my last one being the week before my marathon (p.s. I'm running a marathon on May 17). Seeing those weeks on the calendar made this all very real to me. I actually have to run the race I've already paid for. Right.

My first-ever massage was a couple of years ago. It was on day one of a two-day bike tour (the MS Bike Tour - awesome cause!!). After being on my bike for hours, it felt oh so wonderful to get rubbed down.

Until...

The massage lady went after my girls. As I had never had a massage before, I didn't know if this was normal or not...and I was in the middle of a large room full of other people getting massaged - which I guess made this a little more "ok"... She attacked my booblets the way I imagine a mammogram machine attacks 'em. Squished 'em in between her hands like they were hamburger patties.

Yeah. Still not sure about that one. Obviously it traumatized me a little.

Back to the present... I'm not going to run today - my legs are feeling quite tender from the massage (I bruise really easily, so I wouldn't be surprised if my legs are black and blue already). But I'm going to run tomorrow - according to my running partner, tomorrow my legs should feel light and springy. HA. I'll take whatever I can get!

1 comment:

Krissy said...

I really hope that tonights massage is memorable as well, but in a totally not creepy sort of way!